Criminal assault is a serious misdemeanor or felony crime that could result in jail time and other severe penalties. It can happen in many kinds of situations, such as at work, in your home, or on the street randomly. However, it is important to realize that there are different ways you could be accused for assaulting someone, because there are various types of circumstances that could lead to this crime of an assault charge.
What Are the Types of Criminal Assault I Could Be Charged With?
- Felonious assault: this is an unlawful attack or attempted attack that is accomplished through physical force or violence and causes an injury to the other person. This type of assault could involve weapons that result in serious injury, or the serious injury could have resulted from using hands, fists, or feet.
- Simple assault: This assault occurs when a weapon is not used and the injuries of the victim resulting from the act are minor.
- Physical assault: This assault causes grievous bodily harm and sometimes occurs prior to the act of murder or aggravated assault.
- Aggravated assault: This occurs when there is the use of a weapon and/or a significant amount of increase force.
- Sexual assault: This involves the use of force against the will and consent of the victim, and can result in rape, molestation, sodomy or a similar sexual offense.
- Verbal assault: This is a non-physical, oral type of assault that can result in an emotional and/or psychological injury to the victim, rather than a physical injury.
If you have recently been accused of any type of assault that is listed, you should contact an attorney immediately. Our assault attorneys at the Goolsby Law Firm can help minimize the charges and penalties that you are facing, and we will help build you a strong defense. Contact us today to get started on your case.